How Long Does it Take to Install Hardwood Floors?
Insights from Your Trusted Hardwood Flooring Experts in Calgary
Wondering how long it can take to install hardwood floors for your Calgary home? While a lot depends on the coverage area, there are several other factors that may impact the timelines of your project. One of the single most critical aspects that influences the time to install wooden floors is whether you go for finished or unfinished hardwood.
As one of the best hardwood floor installers in Calgary, the experts at Bull Tough Flooring offer some insights into the installation process and time.
Factors that Influence Hardwood Floor Installation Time
As a rule of thumb, prefinished hardwood floor may take longer to arrive but requires very little time to install, whereas unfinished hardwood will arrive quickly, but involves a time-consuming installation process. Here’s a quick look at the processes for both options.
For Prefinished Hardwood: For around 1,000-square foot coverage, the average installation time once the wood arrives on site is between 1 to 5 days. This excludes the time needed for floor removal and floor prep, if any.
- Once you place the order, it can take between 1 and 3 weeks for the wood to arrive. If you need a specialty item or transitional pieces, the delivery could, at times, take longer.
- Next, the hardwood goes through an acclimatization period, typically 2 days for most woods and 5 to 7 days for denser woods, such as Brazilian wood. This step ensures that the wood adjusts to the humidity and temperatures in your home.
- Post acclimatization, the installation process takes 1 to 4 days, depending on the size and complexity of the area to be covered, as well as the laying pattern that you choose (straight, diagonal, herringbone, etc.).
- Prior to installation, if there is any removal of furniture or old flooring involved, add about half a day for carpet or laminate removal, and 1 full day for ripping off tile. Based on the condition of the flooring after stripping off the old materials, the installers may need to carry out additional prep, the timing of which is unpredictable. It could be as little as an additional hour or as long as 2 extra days.
For Unfinished Hardwood: For a 1,000-square foot area, the average installation time once the wood arrives on site is between 4 to 10 days. This includes one full day for drying, and excludes additional time for old floor rip up or floor prep, if any. Any other unexpected factors, such as sub-floor damage or humidity could impact the timelines.
- Once you place the order, the wood may arrive within 1 to 3 days, except for any special orders, such as extra wide or extra-long boards, which could take an extra week.
- The hardwood needs about 2 days to acclimitize as the moisture content in your chosen wood materials should ideally match with the air in your home.
- Installation time is almost the same as that for prefinished wood, even though it is a little easier to nail unfinished wood than a prefinished one.
- Add another 3 to 5 days for sanding and refinishing, depending on the area covered, humidity levels, stain color usage, number of coats of poly.
Keep in mind that if you are undertaking multiple renovation projects at the same time, then the order of the projects is critical in order to avoid delays or extra costs.
Fantastic Wooden Floors by the Best Hardwood Floor Installers in Calgary
At Bull Tough Flooring, we offer installation, refinishing, repairs and maintenance for hardwood flooring in Calgary. Whether you choose prefinished or unfinished wooden floors, our qualified and licensed flooring professionals complete the hardwood floor installation in a quick, efficient and hassle-free manner. We promise quality materials, advanced installation techniques and minimal disruption to your routine. Typically, for a 500-square foot area, our crew will complete the job in under 2 days. For a 1,000-square foot coverage, our turnaround time is around 3 to 5 days.
Our top-notch workmanship, professional finishes and customer focused approach has earned us much recognition, including awards for “Calgary’s Best Hardwood Flooring Company” several times in the past ten years.
The experienced flooring professionals at Bull Tough Flooring will be happy to answer all your queries. For more information about hardwood flooring services in Calgary, call 403-975-2579. You can also complete our online form to request an instant quote.