Protect and Maintain the Wood Flooring in Your Kitchen
Insights from Your Trusted Hardwood Floor Company in Calgary
Despite their warmth, charm, timeless elegance, and long lifespan, hardwood floors are not always the preferred choice of flooring option in most kitchens. Unlike other materials, such as laminate, vinyl, or tile, hardwood is an organic material. Which means, its cellular structure may damage easily due to moisture, direct sunlight or other potential problems that may occur in the kitchen, including spills, food stains, or dropping of utensils and sharp kitchen tools.
Whether you already have wooden flooring in your kitchen, or are keen on adding hardwood floors to your cook space, it is important to know how you can protect the wood and maximize its life. The hardwood repair and refinishing experts at Bull Tough Flooring offer some suggestions in this context.
Top Care and Maintenance Tips for Kitchen Hardwood Floors
When cared for properly, hardwood floors can last several decades. However, wood flooring in the kitchen may face a few additional challenges that do not apply to the rest of the home.
Why are Wood Floors in the Kitchen More Susceptible? Some of the common factors that can impact the beauty or functionality of wooden floors in the kitchen are:
- Moisture: The top reason for damage to hardwood floors is water or excessive moisture. Even a small spill may seep into the wood, causing warping, wood rot or mold growth. A leaky kitchen sink or dishwasher could also have dire consequences on the wood flooring.
- Dirt, Dust and Food Crumbs: Over time, accumulated dirt and dust act like sandpaper, slowly wearing off the topcoat of your flooring. Similarly, food crumbs, mixed with dirt or moisture can be highly damaging to the wooden floor. When wet, the starch in the food particles can lead to fungus, mold, or mildew, and attract rodents and insects that could cause further destruction.
- Heat: As an organic material, wood expands and contracts due to the changes in the humidity levels as well as the temperatures. Although minor fluctuations are not a problem, major ones due to excessive heat or moisture could reduce the life of the wood.
How to Protect the Wooden Floors in the Kitchen? One of the best ways to care for wooden flooring in the kitchen is to be vigilant. This means:
- Wiping Up Spills Immediately: Spills of water, beverages, sauces or other cooking ingredients can quickly stain your wood floors. While you can clean up fresh spills immediately, for old stains, consider sanding the floors or hiring the best hardwood floor refinishers in Calgary.
- Cleaning Regularly: As with any flooring, regular and proper cleaning of hardwood floors will keep them in top shape for a long time. A quick sweep at the end of the day will ensure there is no dirt, grime or food particles left on the floor. Avoid using wet or steam mops on hardwood floors. Instead, invest in a good quality vacuum cleaner, broom or dust mop.
- Using Mats or Rugs: Protect the high risk areas, such as in front of the dishwasher, sink or refrigerator by using mats or rugs that can that retain the beauty of the hardwood beneath. Choose mats with an open backing to prevent creating a dirt, dust or moisture trap that is possible with rubber backing mats.
- Recoat Every Few Years: Even with the best of cleaning and precautions, your kitchen floor will develop scuffs or scratches due to high foot traffic and general wear and tear. Eventually when the wood starts looking dull or worn, give it some TLC in the form of a professional recoating, which can bring back the lost luster and shine. Maintenance coats are a quick, inexpensive, and cost-effective option to make your wooden floors look as good as new.
Wood Flooring Maintenance by the Best Hardwood Floor Refinishers in Calgary
At Bull Tough Flooring, we offer a complete suite of hardwood flooring services, including floor repairs, maintenance coats, refinishing and new installations. Our hardwood repair specialists in Calgary can fix the minor damage in your wooden floors and offer routine maintenance coats for extending its lifespan. If you need to restore old wooden floors to their former function and beauty, or wish to refresh the stain or finishing of the existing floors, rely on our team of the best hardwood floor refinishers in Calgary. When you hire our experts, expect nothing less than quality finishes, efficient project management and excellent custom service.
For affordable and reliable hardwood flooring maintenance, repairs or refinishing, count on the experienced professionals at Bull Tough Flooring. Call 403-975-2579 or write to us online for an instant quote.