Cleaning Techniques for Hardwood Floors
Expert Tips from Hardwood Flooring Installation Professionals in Calgary
Hardwood flooring has the potential to make any space truly special. While the rich patterns and warm shades of the wood add beauty and charm to your rooms, the durability and other benefits of hardwood flooring make it an excellent investment for enhancing your home value. Whether you recently installed hardwood flooring in your Calgary home or moved into a new property that boasts original wooden floors, the right cleaning techniques will go a long way in improving the look and longevity of your floors.
Calgary’shardwood flooring installation experts at Bull Tough Flooring offer expert tips for safe, damage-free cleaning of wooden floors.
Top 5 Hardwood Flooring Cleaning Mistakes to Avoid
With proper care and maintenance, hardwood flooring can last for decades. However, the wrong cleaning techniques can easily ruin your wooden floors well ahead of their average lifespan. Here are some mistakes to avoid while cleaning your hardwood floors.
- Excess Water: One of the most common mistakes in hardwood floor cleaning is to use too much water. While wet mopping helps in loosening all kinds of dirt, gunk, or dust, excessive or frequent use of water on the floor could:
- Deteriorate the quality of the wood
- Lead to mold growth, warping, or rotting
- Permanently damage your floors
On an everyday basis, a broom or vacuum cleaner can do the job of keeping your wooden flooring spotless. Use a wet mop and mop lightly only if there are messes or stains that need water. Avoid wet mopping more than once in two weeks.
- Harsh Cleaners: Bold and attractive ad campaigns of strong cleaning agents may tempt you to use harsh cleaners to keep your floors shiny and stain-free. However, harmful chemicals from such cleaners may eat away the layers of the finishing, leaving your wooden floors looking drained and pale. The best way to deal with stains is by tackling them as soon as they occur. Blotting the spills with an absorbent cloth or cleaning the stain with a few drops of dishwashing soap will essentially eliminate the need for any chemical cleaning agents. Avoid pouring any cleaning agents directly onto the floor and make sure that you mix them in water, as instructed.
- Wrong Tools: Choosing the right cleaning supplies is a critical step in maintaining the visual appeal and lifespan of your wooden floors.
- Avoid using hard, abrasive cleaning brushes or improper mops that are not meant for wooden floors.
- Do not steam clean your floors. The heat and moisture from the steam cleaner can completely ruin the durability and finish of the hardwood.
- Improper Home Remedies: DIY solutions, such as baking soda, ammonia or vinegar have earned their place in our hearts for their excellent cleaning abilities. However, in the case of wooden floors, the acidic properties of vinegar can potentially damage the finishing of your floors or lead to a blotchy look. The safest way to clean wooden floors is by sparingly applying a mild cleaning solution with a soft mop pad or microfiber cloth.
- Not Getting Professional Help: Instead of treating a professional wood cleaning service as a luxury, consider it an essential element of responsible ownership and maintenance. Just like you send your vehicle for routine service by professionals, give your hardwood flooring the care and attention it deserves. Trained hardwood cleaning specialists use gentle, high-speed, professional cleaning tools and techniques to extract the dirt and grime from your floors and leave them sparkling clean. Similarly, consider a hardwood flooring maintenance coat service after every few years. This quick, efficient, and inexpensive process can add an extra layer of finish to your wooden flooring, and help improve its appearance and durability.
Trusted, Affordable Hardwood Flooring Installations in Calgary
Whether it is the look, color, finish, maintenance aspects, or hardwood flooring installation costs in Calgary, the experienced flooring specialists at Bull Tough Flooring can help you with all aspects related to wooden floors. Our qualified and experienced professionals provide affordable and reliable hardwood flooring installations, along with a host of other maintenance and refinishing services.
Happy homeowners in and around Calgary vouch for our meticulous, customer-centric approach, and timely and efficient services.
Get answers to all hardwood flooring related queries from the experts at Bull Tough Flooring. Learn more about hardwood flooring installation in Calgary or reach out to us for an instant quote.